Sunday, November 9, 2008

From A Marathoner to A Triathlete - The Journey

Disclaimer from Mr Danny:
Do not try the following activities without adult supervision. Marathons, triathlons, open water swim and long distance cycling are serious sports. Failure to comply with this disclaimer can result in serious or permanent injury or even death.


To my pupils, the only 'race' you should be participating and intend on winning is crossing the finish line that is your exams and ultimately your PSLE.
Mr Danny himself had crossed THAT finish line a long time ago.
... and when you are 18 years old and above (the legal age to enter marathons, etc), then you can try them out :)

--------------------


Prologue
This is it.

The day I hoped to realise my dream of completing a triathlon. A triathlon is basically a race that involves completing 3 legs of a race (a swim, bike and run) in succession.

Completing the race was part of the deal I made to my class way back in March challenging that they can achieve anything they hope to achieve if they first have a dream and and work hard for it. On my part I will do something I (and many others) once thought was impossible to do and that was to run a full marathon.
Fast forward 7 months later, and I have completed 3 Marathons, 1 Half-Marathon and I Ultra-Marathon. Basically, my mission is over. However, once you have achieved your dreams, you need to ask yourself this question; "Is that it or can you do more?" The answer for me is clear and obvious. I can do more. And so I challenged myself to completing a triathlon by year's end. The problem was, I have always been a recreational runner, swimmer and I have not done cycling for almost 10 years.

Journey to the Race


I started off from home at 7am in the morning on my brother's aging 5 year old mountain bike. I decided not to take a taxi to East Coast (where the event was held) and use the opportunity to cycle there as a warm up. It is about 21km from Choa Chu Kang to East Coast. The cycling leg of the race was also 21km. Then, I'll be cycling home which will add another 21km. That's 63km in total but still fall short of the IronMan 70.3 cycling distance of 90km which I intend to do sometime in the future. But the greater the challenge, so too will the glory be. I think my wish came true when it drizzled as I left my house.

I thought the drizzle will stop but it did not let up at all. My only concern was the camera in my bag which I had wrapped in a plastic bag in anticipation for such inclement weather.

I Have Arrived - East Coast Park Carpark E2

I was drenched when I reached the race venue 2 hours later but since I was wearing my wet-wear race suit, it did not matter as much. The journey was slow and uneventful and I had plenty of time to appreciate the cold quiet morning of a Saturday morning where I believed most people will still be in the comforts of their beds.



the race map for the day

The time was 0900hrs. My race was scheduled to begin at 1025hrs. The scene was chaotic. There were people from all walks of life. From the young to the old, the disabled and able-bodied and others who I simply could not categorise at this point. They number in the hundreds and each competitor, I believed, had a reason (or reasons) to race. So did I. But I think the number one goal all of us had in common that day was to finish the race.

Getting 'Tatooed'

I then realised that many of the competitors have numbers tatooed on their arms and legs as it was a race criteria. So I scanned around and saw the 'tattoo' booth and lined up to get my 'tatoo' as well. In the queue, I struck up a conversation with a fellow competitor named Victor; a heavily built man who was at least a head taller than me who had done multiple swim events before. He regarded himself a 'swimmer' and he can swim one lap of the swimming pool (50m) in 1 minute. My fastest time for 1 lap is 1min 27 seconds. I told him that this was my first triathlon event and he generously shared with me some useful tips on open water swimming and cycling. I listened attentively to his advice. Afterall, he had more experience.



the number 'tattooed' on my leg



*On a footnote, I do not regard myself as a runner, swimmer or a cyclist. I only do them at a recreational level.

Ready, Set, Go!


We parted company after we got our 'tattoos' and wished each other the best of luck for our races. The race was delayed by thirty minutes because it was still pouring and the 750m open water swim was cut short to 200m because of choppy waters. I was thankful that the organisers did not cancel the swim leg of the race as what I heard happened the year before. It won't be a triathlon if there wasn't a swim component.


After I placed my bike on the bike racks, I made my way to the beach where the Swim-Start was.

the bike racks

my ride - a brandless 5-year old modified mountain bike.
Beside it is a black COLNAGO racing bike which I believe costs at least $4000/-




The Swim Leg


My race started sometime at 1040hrs. With one short blast from the horn, I ran into the water with rest of the competitors. I swam away from the crowd, navigating my way along the less crowded outer lane where the pack of fast swimmers were in the lead. I stayed calm and actually felt comfortable. At the half-way mark, the current got too strong and I ended up being push to the inner lane and started swimming in the path of fellow swimmers. I kicked somebody twice and had to switched to frogstyle so I could surface to see where I was going and was afraid someone would kick me in my face. The danger was omnipresent and very real. In my panic, I ended gulping sea water and since my swimming rhythm was broken, a thought ran across my mind to call it quits. But I remained calm and before I knew it I could stand in the water as my feet found solid ground.

Time taken for 200m swim : 6min 40 seconds

The Bike Leg

Once I reached the beach, I started running towards my bike only to find that my heart was beating wildly and my legs felt like jelly. The swim took more out me than I realised. Somehow I managed to get to my bicycle and started running with it (you are not allowed to cycle in the transition area where the bike was parked) to the start of the bike-leg of the race. My heart still thumping wildly, I started pedalling fast and hard, all the while trying to catch my breath. My plan was to cycle non-stop for the entire 21km with an average speed of 25km/h.

All in all, I had to complete 3 6.67-km lap (which adds up to 21km of course). And amongst all the 3 disciplines, I think I perform best in cycling. The first lap was interesting as I get to somewhat enjoy what the sights East Coast Park has to offer. There was no water point and I guessed I did plan well considering I was carrying my hydrating pack with me.

Once I reached the end of the 1st loop, I realised that there were 2 more laps to go. More and more riders started overtaking me and those who did were riding pure racing bikes as compared to my mountain bike. I knew that if I was riding a racing bike, I could go that much faster.

Anyway, nothing eventful happened on the bike leg of the race except that on the 3rd lap, I heard a loud crash and as I turned my head back, I saw one of the competitors being thrown off his bicycle upon crashing and he was dragged across the ground from the force of the impact. Fortunately, I saw him picking himself up and shrugging off the accident.

The accident reminded me of the unforseen dangers that lurked in the race and I told myself to be extra careful.


Time taken for 21km bicycle race: 54min 27 seconds
Average speed : 23.3km/h


The Running Leg

I had to start the running leg as soon as I dismounted from my bicycle. My legs now felt like lead and every attempt to lift them was a task by itself. I started off on a slow jog and that was all I could muster from my pain-wrecked and enervated body.

"It's your first triathlon. You do not need to push too hard."

"No matter the timing, you have already secured the medal."


Those were some of the excuses that rang through my mind as I fought against the pain. However, I knew that I would regret it if I did not do my best. A saying once goes; “You can quit and no one will really care....but you will always know.”
The 5km seemed to take an eternity to complete but eventually I saw the finish line and with a sudden burst of strength and sheer determination, I sprinted to it.

It was an indescribable feeling to raise my hands up high, flashed a tired but satisfied smile and crossed the finish line. I may not come in first place or second or third, but everyone who crosses that finish line that day was a winner.

And at least now, I can say that once in my life, I have successfully completed a Sprint Triathlon.

Time taken for 5km run : 37 min 38 seconds



the hero of the day with the trademark cool pose and cooler sunglasses :P
Once the race is over and medal is won, then you can smile :)



One of my favourite medals to date. It has the 3 disciplines of the Triathlon etched on it; Swimming, Biking and Running.
And it also validates the end of one journey that started 7 months ago with a simple word;- 'Finisher'


"Medals aren't just made of metal. They are made by all the hard work, sweat and tears that the athlete puts in to winning that medal."

the last 100m dash to the finishing line. The competitors with the serious-desire-to-win look and concentrating hard to overcome the pain and discomfort they must be feeling (do you see them smile DURING the race?)
Notice the congregation of the crowds and supporters on the left.


some guy crossing the finish line where the finisher medals await. He can only manage a slow jog as the race had rendered many competitors to near exhaustion.

Physically disabled competitors whose will to win clearly surpassed many able-bodied persons
---------------------------


my 1st Sprint Triathlon results; not the first but never the last :)


Mission Accomplished :P


Next stop;- IronMan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails